[Dune-devel] [GSoC2016]

Christoph Grüninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Mar 5 22:15:00 CET 2016

Hi Michaël,
welcome to Dune!

> So I am wondering: what are the
> mathematical backgrounds required to complete the project
> (number 2) without a lot of troubles?
> I had a few courses in algrebra, differential calculus (but
> nothing advanced, just the basis) and also one course on
> electromagnetic fields where I had the occasion to use
> the finite element method (but just in 2D),
> is that enough?

Yes, that should be enough. When you have used FEM, you
understand the basic needs of grids. As p4est is already
implemented, I expect this project does not involve
difficult mathematics beyond Algebra and differential
calculus.

> Just to be sure, the bibliography given in the
> grid-howto.pdf mentions books which are at least 13
> years old, are they deprecated or not yet?

No, not at all. It is very relevant to project 2. But you
were observant! Most parts of the grid howto were written
after the Dune grid interface was specified. In the meantime
many people use dune-PDELab, dune-FEM or a similar module
on top of the Dune core modules. So everybody is using the
grid interface, but not many use it directly in their every-
day code.
But still all references clarify a point or are the source of
statements we did in the document. But if you think there are
problems in any part of Dune or if you can even suggest an
improvement, don't hesitate to let us know.

> I also looked at the junior jobs and I think I am going to
> work on the missing Jacobian function, is that job still
> relevant?

Yes. At least one other student asked about this junior job,
but there no code yet.

> (I ask the question because some jobs are linked
> to closed tracker issues and thus appear to be
> no more relevant (like FS#1546 or FS#1331))

Thanks for the hint, I was not aware that both issues
were resolved.

> By the way, how are we supposed to show you our code? By
> doing a pull request in the GitLab?

Yes. Or send a patch to the mailing list.

Wow, you left a good first impression. You already did a
large portion of asking clever questions :-)

Je n'ai rien contre les étrangers, quelques uns de mes
meilleurs amis
sont des étrangers. Mais ces étrangers là ne sont pas de chez
nous!
[Agecanonix, Astérix - Le cadeau de César]