[Dune-devel] [GSoC2016] Improve your changes to be chosen

Christoph Grüninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Mar 9 22:52:40 CET 2016

Dear GSoC students,
once more I am amazed by the number and the enthusiasm of the
GSoC
students. I want to give you some backgrounds and hints, to
make
your application better.

I expect that DUNE will get allocated two slots. That means we
can
mentor two students. A project can only be assigned to one
students,
two students can not do the same project. Every project will
be
mentored by two of us. No mentor will supervise more then one
project.
My advice is, to prepare proposals for more then one project.
If
there is a better student for a project, you might be out,
even
when we would like to see you do an other project.
Currently projects 2 (p4est) and project 4 (spline geometries)
are planned to be mentored by Oliver. If you are interested in
one of these project, consider applying for one of the others
projects two. Maybe we can find another mentor when Oliver
decides to mentor the other, not your project.
Most students were interested in project 2. Keep an eye on the
mailing list to check what your fellow GSoC students want to
do.
Applying for projects with less competition might be easier.

In any case: Please prepare your applications. Discuss them
with
us, we will help you to improve your application. We are
interested in good and exciting projects, too.
You can hand in applications beginning March 14. We will be
able
to see your applications and will contact you, if we have
further
suggestions. Whenever feasible, don't apply on the last day,
as
we won't be able to discuss your application thoroughly.

Je n'ai rien contre les étrangers, quelques uns de mes
meilleurs amis
sont des étrangers. Mais ces étrangers là ne sont pas de chez
nous!
[Agecanonix, Astérix - Le cadeau de César]