[Dune-devel] Fwd: [Dune] Getting started with DUNE

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Tue May 10 06:52:25 CEST 2016

Hi Michael,

thanks for this feedback!

> I just read the "Installation of DUNE" part and have two comments (I focused on the installation from sources since I work from archlinux and have no binary packages of DUNE):

have you considered packaging some of the Dune modules for ArchLinux?  Each module uses a standard cmake build system,
and packaging is usually very straightforward.

> - I'm not sure about your "tar -zxvf dune*.tar.gz" command. It doesn't work on my machine and according to [1], you can't use a wildcard to untar several files at once (due to some historic reasons). You might replace this command by "forf in*.tar;dotar xf $f;done" for example.

I didn't know that.  I have updated the text, and uploaded a new version to my website.

> - There is not release tarballs of dune-functions in [2]. So I had to take this module from the gitlab through a git clone but, as the development version, dune-functions requires concept.hh as dependency, which is not present in the version 2.4 of DUNE. Consequently, I had to install DUNE from the development branches.

I know.  dune-functions is still quite new, and there has not been an official 2.4 release.
I have updated the text, and also the dune-functions download page, to contain some more
information.  In particular, the 2.4-compatible branch is mentioned now.

> By the way, I took a look on the source code of the finite element example and was wondering: why not use the range-based for loop (introduced in C++11) to iterate through the structures used? (To loop over all the quadrature points for example, line 65).

There are some loops where you can't use range-based for, because you are, e.g., iterating over two
containers in parallel.  In some parts I am using range-based for.  As for the quadrature points,
in that case I don't think a range-based for loop is prettier than an old-school loop.

But since you are already the second person nagging me about it, I changed it anyway.  :-)

> I'm going to continue reading your document and try the examples, I keep you in touch.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Oliver