[Dune-devel] Update your GitLab CI Runners

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 24 15:46:41 CEST 2017

Hi Benedikt,

> Am 24.08.2017 um 15:41 schrieb Benedikt Oswald <benedikt.oswald at lspr.swiss>:
>
> Dear Dune,
>
> I might be a bit outdated, but what the bloody hell is a
>
> GitLab CI Runner
>
> ??? :-)

the GitLab server that we use for code hosting etc. also supports continuous integration (CI)
testing, so it will automatically build and test your module after pushing to the server, according
to the rules in a special file .gitlab-ci.yml in the root of your repository.

As the GitLab server can’t handle running all those tests locally, it relies on runners to do that
for it. A runner is just a daemon running on another machine that polls the GitLab servers for
outstanding test jobs, runs them and returns the results to the server.

GitLab allows you to register a custom runner for your own project, and quite a few people are
using their own runners on gitlab.dune-project.org.

Steffen