[Dune-devel] Migration of dune-python to dune-common

Dominic Kempf dominic.r.kempf at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 16:36:48 CET 2017

Dear Dune developers,

on the developer meeting we decided to move the build system extension
formerly known as dune-python into dune-common. I have prepared a first
implementation (revisiting many interfaces along the way) and published it
on Gitlab.

As we decided to aim for more splitting of large MRs, I added 3 MRs
building on each other (sorry for that, but I see no other solution):
* https://gitlab.dune-project.org/core/dune-common/merge_requests/218 is
python-unrelated and implements dune_execute_process, a thin wrapper around
the CMake builtin providing error checking
* https://gitlab.dune-project.org/core/dune-common/merge_requests/219
contains the main python infrastructure: finding python installations,
finding packages, installing packages, adding tests.
* https://gitlab.dune-project.org/core/dune-common/merge_requests/220
contains the part of the buildsystem that sets up a virtualenv itself. As
discussed, this behaviour needs explicit enabling.

The merge requests are now in a state that I consider a good baseline for
merging and later incrementally improving through individual merge requests.

I would love to get some feedback. If you are totally not into CMake, your
opinion is still important. You can checkout the branch
feature/dune-python-migration-virtualenv, do "make doc" and read through
the sphinx documentation at "doc/buildsystem/html/index.html". I tried to
document all the functionality and semantics there.

Best,
Dominic