[Dune-devel] Compiler requirements

Ansgar Burchardt Ansgar.Burchardt at tu-dresden.de
Tue Sep 19 11:01:54 CEST 2017

Steffen Müthing writes:
> at the last developer meeting we settled on GCC 4.9 for DUNE 2.5, mostly for compatibility
> with Debian Jessie. We also said that after the release of Stretch, we’d move to GCC 5 as
> minimum compiler, which gives us full C++14 support.
>
> We should then also raise the minimum required C++ level to -std=c++14.

Having full C++14 would be nice.  I tried to get rid of global data that
needs to be initialized in Yasp (BinomialTable and EntityShiftTable) by
evaluating them at compile-time using constexpr functions: the version
that accommodates for gcc-4.9's lack of full constexpr functions
(gcc-4.9 only allows a single return, no loops) made it unreadable and
unmaintainable.

Maybe we should also set CXX_MAX_STANDARD to 17 by default now that
C++17 has been released?

Ansgar