[Dune-devel] Future of dune-grid-howto?

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Wed Aug 15 18:41:30 CEST 2018

Hi Christoph,

sorry for the late reply.  I am quite aware that the dune-grid-howto
has been in an embarrassing state for quite a while.

> I was asking myself a couple of questions and would like to hear what
> others think:
> * What is the purpose of dune-grid-howto today?

It is bad, but it is still better than nothing at all.

> * What first impression does the module give to interested users?

Don't ask.

> * Why does virtually nobody of us care about it?

Because we are all lazy and don't enjoy writing.

> * Should we drop the module? What would we advice for new users instead?

Not until there is something better.

> * Can we overhaul and modernize it (do we have the resources, are we
> willing to do so)?

I started an overhaul long time ago in form of my book project.
Unfortunately that project never got much response from the community.

> * Can we drop the authors listed in the beginning of the document and
> make it more vivid?

Sure, go ahead, but strictly speaking you should ask the authors.

> * Would a modernization be a good GSoC project?

I don't think so, because IMO you need somebody who knows Dune well
to write good documentation.