[Dune-devel] New setup and home for continuous integration Docker images

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jun 28 13:15:12 CEST 2018

Hi everyone,

our continuous integration testing was bootstrapped by Ansgar, who provided the first runner and also
created the infrastructure for building the required Docker images at https://github.com/aburch/dune-docker.

As this was not very visible and created some hickups when the images were broken (you basically had to
know that you could poke Ansgar to have them rebuilt), I’ve moved his project over to our gitlab at

https://gitlab.dune-project.org/docker/ci

That project contains all the Dockerfiles as well as a CI setup that automatically builds the images and
pushes them to the integrated container registry, see https://gitlab.dune-project.org/docker/ci/container_registry.
They also get mirrored to the old location on the official Docker hub.

Instead of a weekly build, the images now get rebuilt every night, so they should be reasonably up-to-date most
of the time. If you need an immediate rebuild, just let Ansgar or me know.

Access to the repository is rather restrictive, because it has access to a CI runner which effectively has root
access to the host machine, but you can still fork it and open merge requests.

If you have other images that you need built and that you want to integrate, just write to me - we can either integrate
them into this project or put another project into the docker/ namespace.

IMPORTANT:
As part of this move, we will change the .gilab-ci.yml files of all the core modules to point at the new images. If you
have a Gitlab runner that should work with these projects, you need to add "registry.dune-project.org/docker/ci/*" to
the list of allowed images!

I’ve also dropped the CI images for Debian 8 and Dune 2.3. If you still need them, please open a bug report.

Thanks again to Ansgar for bootstrapping the whole thing (and I hope he will still keep the base image Dockerfiles in
particular up to date when stuff changes in Debian… -; )!

Cheers
Steffen