[Dune-devel] New virtual method proposal: Preconditioner::update()

Nils-Arne Dreier n.dreier at uni-muenster.de
Sat Dec 14 11:01:57 CET 2019

Hi Atgeirr,

> 2.
> The changes to dune-istl in Dune 2.6 made it possible to exploit
> object-oriented techniques for linear solvers and preconditioners. With
> those changes it became feasible to treat preconditioners
> polymorphically at runtime. In the opm-simulators module mentioned
> above, we have made a few classes, PreconditionerFactory and
> FlexibleSolver that exploit this to let itself be configured entirely at
> runtime, using a parameter tree. It works for both serial and parallel
> cases, as it is templated on the operator type. I hope that this is
> interesting to the Dune community, and would like to contribute this to
> dune-istl.

We have prepared a similar solver factory in dune-istl and plan to have
it in the 2.7 release. You can find it here:

https://gitlab.dune-project.org/core/dune-istl/merge_requests/312

I think that could be interesting for you. To have it in the 2.7 release
we need some people who could review it. Could you have a look?

I'm looking forward for your comments.

Regards
Nils