[Dune-devel] Future of the Heidelberg-hosted Dune infrastructure

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Fri Nov 22 10:23:05 CET 2019

Dear all,

> This is a summary of services we currently supply and the opinion of the Heidelberg group on how to proceed with them.
>
> [1]gitlab.dune-project.org
> -----------------------

as Jö pointed out, and also considering the implications mentined in
your email, I'd prefer not t use gitlab.com, but to have a self-hosted
installation somewhere.

I personally and also my group currently does not have the capacity to
guarantee such a service, but I had already vaguely discussed this
with our computing center. They are currently running a gitlab
instance for the university and perhaps they might be willing to offer
this also as a service for our project.

A major question here would be the timescale. How quickly do we have
to perform the transition?

> Mailserver for @[12]dune-project.org
but Jö offered t move them to his own virtual host and also continue
maintaining them.

@Jö: would it be a big difference (in terms of workload) if you would
also run the main mail server?

> Website [15]dune-project.org
> ------------------------

IMHO we have t delay this discussion, until we decided on how t continue with our gitlab.

In general I think it would be best to switch to gitlab pages, which
should work in both cases, self-host and managed.  Gitlab pages
already support hugo (which we use for the website) as well as sphinx,
which we use for the python docs. So I'd be confident that these
changes should work quite well. For me the open question would be, how
easy it is/would be to integrate out doxygen pipeline...

> Continuous Integration
> ----------------------

Actually in Münster the plan is to extent our runners support. Our
computing center has now kubernetes running, so that it should be
fairly easy to setup the docker image.

> Docker in Docker Continuous Integration
> ---------------------------------------

it is true that the current setup is far from easy... my first
question is, does it have to be so complicated? I didn't work on this,
so it is hard for me to judge...

> DNS for [19]dune-project.org

Why should Let's Encryt not work with domaindiscount24.de? It worked
for Veras website very well. We are also using domaindiscount24.de, so
if you ditch the setup with multiple service providers and go solely
via domaindiscount24.de I can opt in as one of the DNS people.

But ... in order to get the bus factor higher, I'd ask for more people!

Best!