[Dune-devel] Explicit template instantiation

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Tue Feb 16 17:17:58 CET 2021

Hi Simon,

we have made good experience wir explicit instantiations for several application modules. Still there is one aspect I'm concerned about.

We only used it for coarse grained interfaces. How is the situation for fine grained interfaces like most dune-grid interfaces? We rely on inlining for reducing the overhead. How does inlining play with explicit instantiation?

In particular for yaspgrid we might experience a significant performance penalty. Do you have some tests?

Ciao