[Dune-devel] Explicit template instantiation

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Wed Feb 17 15:23:26 CET 2021

> Thanks for all the feedback. I see the arguments. Initially, I thought it could be beneficial to reduce the compile times for all users by default. But I also understand the "do not pay for what you don't use" philosophy that is standard for c++.

I don't really buy that argument.  While I have been tempted to disable building
the DGF parser because it takes long and I never use it, I only build dune-grid
once every other month, and therefore it is not a serious problem.  If I could
reduce build times for my applications without sacrificing run-time, then an
increase in dune-${CORE_MODULE} build times would be a very low price to pay.

Cheers,