[Dune-devel] Online developer meeting: 2021-01-08 and 2021-01-22

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Mon Jan 4 13:18:18 CET 2021

On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 11:57:53AM +0100, Simon Praetorius wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> Jitsi is not usable for more than let's say 5 people simultaneously.
> Neither the public meet.jitsi.si nor a locally hosted instance. In
> half of the sessions it simply does not work at all. This is due to
> the heavy video load that is during the semester time in the
> universities. There is also the DFN video-conference solution - not
> stable either.

We should be very careful with such statments. Even more if they endorse
proprietary services. I am pretty sure I have done meetings with more than 5
on meet.jit.si. I heavily doubt your statement about the limits of locally
hosted instances, see the screenshot at https://www.dr-blatt.de/static/images/Bildschirmfoto_jitsi_2021-01-04_12-44-00.png for a counter example.

Of course that instance does not use the default settings, but tries to
be conservative (bare metal, 1 GB network, limited resolution, limited
number of concurrent video streams, etc.). Of course there is always a limit
and it is not set up to scale (has just two videobridges).

We have 13 people in the doodle and a privately hosted instance should handle
this. Let's get constructive and try to push open source:

- let's test my instance tonight at 20:00 CET at jisti.eichstaett.social/DUNEMeetingTest
- If that is successfull, I set up an instance where only our meeting will be
  heldt.
- If that does not work we can use the solution-that-should-not-be-named as
  a fallback.

Anyway in any meeting there is no need to stress test servers by having video
on all the time in large meetings.

I would really like to avoid using proprietary stuff in my unpaid time and
have abstained from it the past.

Cheers,

Markus