[Dune-devel] System tests

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Sat Jan 23 16:21:29 CET 2021

Dear developers,

It was asked to add more downstream testing, especially for changes in
dune-common. But also we wanted to have a full system test. Both wishes
are in a draft version already implemented.

For downstream testing in dune-common see

https://gitlab.dune-project.org/core/dune-common/-/merge_requests/913

It is implemented in a very simple way, i.e., just downloading and
building all downstream modules from core against the current repository
state of dune-common. It should work with branches and merge-requests.
Also, it includes tests of the python bindings. Nevertheless, the test
is restricted to core modules only and no installing of modules is tested.

For a more complete test setup, I have created the repository

https://gitlab.dune-project.org/infrastructure/dune-nightly-test

It allows to run tests of not just the core, but also staging and
discretization modules. Additionally, it tests that modules can be
installed and the installed modules can be used. (This already shows
bugs in, e.g., dune-pdelab)
This system test can be manually triggered, either for the master branch
or any local branch. Also, we can run nightly or weakly tests.

Both are still in a draft state, so have a look and contribute ideas.

Best,
Simon

--
Dr. Simon Praetorius