[Dune-devel] cmake and buildsystem documentation

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Wed May 19 21:52:38 CEST 2021

I've just started to dive into this. Have not yet understood everything
completely:

1.) This python package just provides two files from the cmake
repository, that can easily be installed using pip, so if we do not want
to get a dependency on the full cmake source package, this would be a
minimal solution

2.) `sphinxcontrib-cmakedomain` is just another implementation of a
Sphinx extension to understand cmake documentation tokens. It is
outdated, though.

3.) I just wanted to find a way to document using the new multi-line
comment blocks and to use the standard cmake documentation statements.
This way we could import other cmake files and get the documentation
included directly. I'm still experimenting, though. Maybe, if the
license allows this, we could just include the two python files from
cmake directly in our repository. Otherwise, this cmake documentation
generation is purely optional and just used to generate online
documentation files. It is thus only needed in one of our ci docker
images and there we could easily add this additional dependency, since
we added multiple other python packages recently as well.

I'm not yet sure how everything works. It seems that there is a python
script provided as sphinx extension that would allow to parse the cmake
files directly. Then we do not need to first extract the documentation
manually into an .rst file and then run sphinx on this.

If someone is interested to look into this as well, I would appreciate
the help.

Best,
Simon