[Dune-devel] vX.Y.Z.alpha tags

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Thu Nov 25 18:50:30 CET 2021

Hi,

If it is just about tagging a minor tweak and this is just for this
cmake-install fix, I'm fine with it. It helps fixing a python package
bug, and we should not make the procedure more complicated than it is
already.

But adding this 4th digit in the version number in general is, in my
opinion, more irritating than helping. Which version should the user
download? 2.8.1 or 2.8.0.1 and what is the difference? When do we
increase the 3rd digit and when the 4th digit only?

We could just, as Christoph suggested, make more often the minor
patch-version releases, like, 2.8.1.  Essentially, each bugfix that is
backported into a release branch could end up in a new patch version
number. Maybe we collect bugfixes in a monthly cycle.

The 4th digit could just be helpful if required by, e.g., the python
packaging system because it would not be allowed to upload the same
version. Then, the tweak version would just have no other meaning than
this. So, if we would like to have a 4th digit, it would be nice to
define its meaning.

Best,
Simon