[dune-fem] A question about P1 Lagrange vector-valued function in DUNE-FEM

Sacconi, Andrea a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 22 16:56:40 CEST 2012

Hi all,

suppose you have a P1 Lagrange vector-valued function, defined over a certain grid in R^3.
Given a solution of my problem represented by such a function, I need to know the value taken by the solution (which is naturally a 3-component vector) in each vertex and then calculate the lenght of such a vector.
I need specifically this vertex-wise information, for experimental convergence purposes.

How can I extract such a 3-component vector?

The instance of the solution is the following:

DiscretePositionFunctionType discrete_position_solution ( "discrete_position_solution", dfpSpace );

where the type is:

typedef Dune::AdaptiveDiscreteFunction < DiscretePositionFunctionSpaceType > DiscretePositionFunctionType;

and dfpSpace is an instance of the corresponding space type:

typedef Dune::LagrangeDiscreteFunctionSpace< VectorPositionFunctionSpaceType, GridPartType, vectorPolynomialOrder > DiscretePositionFunctionSpaceType;

Thanks a lot !!!

Andrea

Andrea Sacconi
PhD student, Applied Mathematics
AMMP Section, Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London,
London SW7 2AZ, UK
a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk