[dune-fem] [bewilderment resolved] Re: Design of boundary classification, e.g. fem-poisson in school code

Claus-Justus Heine Claus-Justus.Heine at ians.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Mar 18 21:59:21 CET 2014

Hi there,

to bring this message-thread to a positive end: I somehow got the
expression that with the removal of intersection.boundaryId() the access
to any boundary classification in the macro triangulation had been
abandoned altogether. That really felt even insane.

Its only tonight that I realize that this is not the case, as currently
the boundaryId and -Parameters are very well still accessible through
the GridFactory, and at least the BoundaryParameters also through the
GridPtr (it appear from reading the source code that it was somehow
forgotten to export the BoundaryId also from the GridPtr. Martin is
alread working on that, AFAIK.)

In so far, removing the method from the interface may very well be
understood as interface-cleanup, though it is somewhat inconvenient. As
boundary-ids are often needed, one would probably want to have a
standard-way to access them, something like the BoundaryIdProvider
mentioned below by Tobias, but probably rather using the
boundarySegmentIndex() instead of enabling experimental-grid-extensions.

Best,

Claus