[dune-fem] [bewilderment resolved] Re: Design of boundary classification, e.g. fem-poisson in school code

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Mar 19 14:11:26 CET 2014

Hi Claus,

while the idea sounds intriguingly simple, the true problems lie in the
parallel part, as Robert already hinted. You have to ensure that the
boundaryIds are transferred correctly during load balancing. In my opinion,
the problem will to twofold:
(a) Your singleton must automatically be included in the load balancing
process (and do the "right" thing, of course).
(b) The grid implementations (read: ALUGrid) must support this concept in
parallel.

In my opinion, (a) is relatively straight forward (if you properly test it).
However, (b) seems less trivial to me (unless Robert already implemented this
stuff). To my knowledge, the problem is that ALUGrid will start extracting
data before all elements have been created. So, the number of (local) boundary
segments might not be known at this point. In other words, the boundary ids
would need to be stored in a map, using the id of the corresponding codim-1
entity as a key.

<SIDE ISSUE>
Similiar problems arise for (non-global) boundary projections in parallel (I
think they were called node-projections in Alberta). Of course, this problem
can also by solved by attaching the boundary projections to the boundaryId
(though I would prefer the segmennt index) and using a callback mechanism
during adaptation (which would be my solution to this issue).
</SIDE ISSUE>

Best,

Martin