[dune-functions] Problems writing vector-valued vtk files

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 18 12:48:21 CET 2015

Am 18.03.2015 um 12:27 schrieb Oliver Sander:
>>> I kind-of see where the problem is coming from: I would expect the Range type of xFunction and localXFunction to be
>>> FieldVector<double,3>.  However, in discretescalarglobalbasisfunction.hh the type for both is set to the range type
>>> of the LocalBasis, which is FieldVector<double,1>.  This leads to a mismatch during function evaluation.
>> that's correct (in some sense). I just adpated the old version, which
>> was inherently scala, to the new interface. I guess that's why it has
>> ...Scalar... in its name.
>
> One could argue that it is called ...scalar... because it uses scalar bases,
> even to create vector-valued functions.  I'm not perfectly sure that this is
> a good long-term point of view.
In the long-term we should get rid of 'scalar'. The only thing
to specify is how to multiply coefficients and values of the local
basis. Maybe we can factor this out in a first step such that one
can povide this as a lambda.

For the moment I've implemented support for vector/matrix-valued
coefficients only.

Best,
Carsten

BTW:
Generic multiplication of various matrix/vector/scalar
combinations is something we've put a significant amount of
work into in dune-fufem.