[dune-functions] Function space of constant functions

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Wed Nov 14 20:08:35 CET 2018

Hi everyone,

I have recently implemented a minimal function space for dune-functions
that represents essentially something like span{1}, so a space of
constants or of constant functions. I wanted to have this in the context
of dune-functions functionspacebases to embed these constants in a PDE
setting. Applications include:

- Neumann problem with integral constraint \int u dx = 0
- Stokes equation with constraint on the pressure (similar to point 1)
- Coupling of scalar equations involving integral terms with a PDE (e.g.
Cahn-Hilliard SAV scheme)
- ...

See https://gitlab.mn.tu-dresden.de/spraetor/dune-scalarbasis

Maybe someone is interested in this. Probably there are also other ways
to achieve the same, but this was for me just an experiment how to
include this in the functionspacebases setting.

If there is wider interest in this feature, I could merge this into the
dune-function repository.

Best,
Simon