[dune-functions] Binding to non-leaf entities in dune-functions 2.6

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 20 22:07:10 CET 2018

For the record: The discussion mostly concerns grid
coarsening. If you only refine the problem is different.
In this case the elements still exist, but you cannot
use the old basis after refinement because the grid
view and the index set changed. This problem is mostly
solved by the WIP merge request

  https://gitlab.dune-project.org/staging/dune-functions/merge_requests/128

which allows to get a persistent version of the
basis that survives grid refinement. This one
can be used to interpolate on the new grid.

However there's some open problems/restrictions:
a)It only works for grids that do not remove
  closures on refinement. This leads to the
  coarsening problem again.
b)It requires that the basis only uses the index set
  of the grid view. This should be true for most
  bases.
c)It does not work straight ahead if the basis
  stores additional information e.g. in the case
  of p-refinement. This can be solved by either
  manually copying/sharing the information to
  the new basis or by introducing an additional
  interface/constructor for this purpose.

That being said, the branch is successfully used
for refinement with hp-adaptive DG elements.

Best,
Carsten