[dune-functions] Global Id of dune-function basis DOFs

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Tue Jun 11 17:17:28 CEST 2019

Hi Simon,
the implementation would be simpler than you think...

>Since bases have different continuity properties, a purely generic
>implementation is not possible. So, one has to provide this continuity
>information for each basis in some way. On a local domain, the DOFs get
>a continuous or discontinuous index from the LocalView. But on
>distributed grids, this information is not given, currently.

No, the DOFs are associated with a particular (sub)entity and have a local per-entity index, trusted to the tree. You can use this for DG as well as for conforming spaces.

>Essentially what you need is some identification of the node in the
>tree
>+ the DOF id of a local basis on that node. So, some kind of tuple,
>e.g.
>for LagrangeDG
>
>(treePath, localDofId)
>
>where localDofId could be something like
>
>localDofId := (global-elementId, localDofIndex)

This is basically what I suggested and it works in any case... As the is is unique over all geometry types, this is the same id as your suggestion below.

>For continuous Lagrange DOFs it is a bit more delicate. For low order
>Lagrange, we can assume that there is <= 1 DOFs per entity and one
>could
>use something like
>
>localDofId := (global-entityId, localIndexOnEntity)
>
>where localIndexOnEntity==0 and the entity is extracted from the
>localKey.
>
>So, each basis node needs a different handling of the identification of
>DOFs.

Up to now this is _not_ the case. Also the mapping described below can be defined just by global information, but I agree, that we possibly want some right interface.

Christian