[dune-pdelab] Inquiry

Jared Okiro jaokiro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:44:57 CEST 2011

Dear PDELab Members,

I am a new dune user, and is developing a DG code for a reaction-diffusion
system.
When I look at the example code in
dune/pdelab/localoperator/convectiondiffusiondg.hh,
I see two ways of doing the residual assembly i.e alpha volume and jacobian
volume.
Can someone help me understand the difference between these two functions in
setting up
the system?. I am asking this because in standard Galerkin methods, I only
see alpha volume
but not jacobian volume also.
Finally, my problem is of the form:

*\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = D \ Delta u + f(u) = 0  in \Omega,* where
f(u) is a non-linear function.

Do I need to do jacobian volume of the temporal operator also or the alpha
volume is sufficient?
Kindly advice so that I don't make a mistake in my code.
Kind regards,
--
Jared Ouma Okiro,
Institute for Analysis and Numerics,