[dune-pdelab] Huge size of debug sysbols.

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jun 6 13:22:04 CEST 2012

Hi Christian,

Am 06.06.2012 um 12:33 schrieb Christian Engwer:

> Hi all!
>
> As pdelabb is making heavy use of templates and nested tempaltes, the
> size of our debug symbols "explodes". I was looking for ways to reduce
> the size of the symbols. Does anyone have experience with "type
> hiding"? (See e.g. http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/libs/multi_index/doc/compiler_specifics.html#type_hiding)

yes, that's a nice trick - PDELab uses it for example with the type of the LocalFunctionSpace
(the LFS inherits from the much more complicated type derived using a TypeTree transformation).
Unfortunately, AFAIK the trick does not help us as much with the debug symbols, as the DWARF debug format
requires the *demangled* names of all reachable types to be dumped as debug info. That is required
to be able to display the names of base classes in the debugger. I have been scratching my head
about this as well, especially why the format stores demangled names, which can be up to a factor
of 100 larger than the mangled names in PDELab.

That said, hiding the long and complicated type names in base classes would still have the benefit of reducing
the length of individual type names, which should improve the readability of compiler messages quite a bit... ;-)
I havent looked at it in detail, but one first possibility might e.g. be to derive all those traits classes instead of
typedef'ing them.

Steffen