[dune-pdelab] Dune::PDELab::ISTLBackend_NOVLP_CG_AMG_SSOR with ALUGrid

Eike Mueller E.Mueller at bath.ac.uk
Tue Mar 27 14:59:51 CEST 2012

Hi Rebecca,

I presume you always meant P0ParallelGhostConstraints, not
P0GhostConstraints?

I just had another go, and I find the following:

* If I use CG, preconditioned by AMG with ILU0 smoother on ALUGrid
(cubed sphere), it does not matter as to whether I use
P0GhostConstraints or the (wrong) constraints that I used before, the
results agree in so far as the solution looks identical in both cases
(in particular, no imprinted processor boundaries) and the number of
iterations and convergence rate is exactly the same in both cases.
* If I use CG, preconditioned with ILU0 or SSOR on ALUGrid and
P0Constraints, it does not work, I get convergence rates that are larger
than 1 and the solution just looks wrong (I see the processor edges
imprinted on the solution).
* If I use CG, preconditioned with ILU0 or SSOR on YaspGrid, it all
works fine.

Is it possible that I'm doing something wrong when setting up the
P0ParallelGhostConstraints?

I should also add that all the runs reported in this email were done
with the trunk, not with version 2.1. Also, I'm now solving the Poisson
equation on a spherical shell.

Cheers,

Eike