[dune-pdelab] dim < dimWorld ?

Bernd Flemisch bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed May 9 19:19:48 CEST 2012

Hey Christian and Dan,

thank you for your fast answers. I acknowledge the fact
that the gradient is a dimWorld object and that it can be
represented in a dimWorld coordinate system. From that
perspective, I can understand that
jacobianInverseTransposed maps to dimWorld.

Nevertheless, I would say that the best way of describing
the problem to be assembled is by surface quantities like
differential operators div_s, grad_s and diffusion tensors
D_s. Of course, they can be represented in a dimWorld
coordinate system. But that means that I have to blow up
everything. For example for dim=1, I would have a scalar
tangential diffusion coefficient and I would have to blow
that up to a dimWorld x dimWorld tensor. Isn't that
inefficient?

But ok, I guess my preferred way to do it is to project
the dimWorld-representation of the gradient to the surface
and a dim-representation. Then one can apply
dim-representations of e.g. tangential diffusion tensors.

Kind regards
Bernd

On Wed, 9 May 2012 18:19:04 +0200
  Christian Engwer <christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de>
wrote:
> Hi Bernd,
>
>> One could fix this by declaring gradphi as a
>>dimWorld-vector, but I
>> don't think that this is what we want to do. We want to
>>solve an
>> equation like
>> div_s D_s grad_s u_s = q_s
>> where all _s are surface quantities. The vectors and
>>tensors have a
>> dimWorld coordinate representation, but I think that one
>>would want
>> to use the dim representations.
>
> on the contrary, if you look into the sfem stuff, you
>consider a
> problem in dimW, but assemble on the surface.
>
>> So either jacobianInverseTransposed should map to a
>>dim-coordinate
>> vector, or one should have a method for projecting
>> dimWorld-representations to dim-representations. What do
>>you think?
>
> you are mapping to global coordinates and these are
>dimW, so the
> jacobian has to map to dimW aswell.
>
> I agree that some (or most) operators will not work for
>surface
> problems, but the necessary changes are simply to use
>the appropriate
> vector sizes.
>
> Christian

Bernd Flemisch                     phone: +49 711 685
69162
IWS, Universitaet Stuttgart          fax: +49 711 685
67020
Pfaffenwaldring 61        email:
bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
D-70569 Stuttgart        url: