[dune-pdelab] Nonoverlapping solver backend for implicit time-steppers

Jared Okiro jared.okiro at st.ovgu.de
Wed Oct 31 15:03:34 CET 2012

On 10/30/2012 03:05 PM, Jared Okiro wrote:
> On 10/30/2012 11:41 AM, Steffen Müthing wrote:
>> Hi Jared,
>>
>> what do you mean by parallelizing the system? I assume you ran this
>> in parallel,
>> and that's when the problems cropped up?
>>
>> Having said that, your example uses a nonoverlapping solver, not an
>> overlapping
>> one as per Christian's suggestion. For DG, that won't work just like
>> that, as the
>> per-processor domains are not coupled in any way (with nonoverlapping
>> assembly,
>> the processes only share DOFs with codim>  0, those attached to a
>> Border entity in
>> Dune-speak, and you don't have any DOFs of that type with a DG
>> method). I'd suggest
>> you switch to an overlapping method like Christian said.
>>
>> Apart from that, you cannot use the nonoverlapping Jacobi
>> preconditioner here, as
>> the nonoverlapping Jacobi implementation in PDELab currently is not
>> block-aware
>> and will thus not invert the dense DG blocks on the diagonal, but
>> only the diagonal
>> of those blocks.
>>
>> Steffen

>>> Dear Christian,
>>> Thank you for the information. I decided to do a test case for a
>>> scalar problem before parallelizing the system. Attached is the test
>>> case. In this test case only one time step is solved and one can see
>>> that
>>> it produces the wrong solution at the processor boundaries.
>>> I would be grateful for any further assistance.
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jared Ouma Okiro,
>>> Institute for Analysis and Numerics,
>>> Otto-von- Guericke Universität,
>>> Universitätsplatz 02, Gebaude 02 / 115
>>> 39106 Magdeburg, Germany
>>> Office Tel: +493916712660
>>> Fax:        +493916718073
>>> Mobile:     +4917657479787
>>> Home Tel:   +4939155917376
>>>
>>> <nonlinearproblem.cc><nonlinearproblem.hh>_______________________________________________
>>>
>>> dune-pdelab mailing list
>>> dune-pdelab at dune-project.org
>> Steffen Müthing
>> Universität Stuttgart
>> Institut für Parallele und Verteilte Systeme
>> Universitätsstr. 38
>> 70569 Stuttgart
>> Tel: +49 711 685 88429
>> Fax: +49 711 685 88340
>> Email: steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
>>

> Dear Steffen,
> I have tried the overlapping version also. I followed the steps from
> example06 code in pdelab-howto and
> did it for DG method, but still did not succeed. I have attached the
> files.
> The linear solver fails to converge the solution.
> I will appreciate further assistance.
> Thank you.

Dear Steffen/PDELab Members,

Sorry, I am writing again because I haven't managed to solve the problem
I asked.
Steffen, as you and Christian advised, I attached the overlapping
version of my test parallel case.
I find the same strategy to work with FEM but apparently it doesn't work
with DG. Does  DG works in this way or do I need to incorporate some
things into the code?. I actually do not understand why DG fails in this
similar way. I will appreciate some more tips on this.
Thank you.