[dune-pdelab] dense backend

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Sun Oct 13 16:13:13 CEST 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 03:09:31PM +0200, Markus Blatt wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 02:27:05PM +0200, Christian Engwer wrote:
> >
> > This brings me to the actual questions. I'd like to rename the dense
> > backend stuff to simple, as this is the actual idea here. We can then
> > have a SimpleVectorBackend, SimpleDenseMatrixBackend and a
> > SimpleSparseMatrixBackend. Any objections?
>
> Simple does not ring any bell at my end. What should I associate
> with such a name? This does not mean that i have a better name, though.
>
> BTW: THere is a branch p/dominic/umfpack of istl that supports umfpack
> and might provide a simple CSR Matrix, already.

The main idea of Steffens code at that time was to have something
which is really _simple_ and be used to implement backends, which
build upon such simple data structures. Main main point is that dense
is not a good name, as we can (and want to) have sparse matrices with
simple data structures, but I don't object other names, if you have a
better suggestions.