[dune-pdelab] Installing Dune

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 28 11:23:16 CEST 2014

Am 27.08.2014 um 11:29 schrieb Markus Blatt <markus at dr-blatt.de>:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 11:41:14AM +0200, Markus Blatt wrote:
>>
>> I guess you are right. It somehow seems like shared_ptr test does not
>> run through. It tests for
>>
>> It checks for shared pointer in the std namespace and the result is
>> neither yes or no (for whatever reason), and then the rest of the m4
>> file seems to be magically skipped:
>
> It is not magic, it is just programmed that way: There is a break
> statement depending on the result of the first compile test. If the test is
> successful the the break is reached and the enclosed for-loop that
> sets the header file is never evaluated.
>
> The first compile test only includes the string header and tests,
> whether a shared_ptr of string is usable. Therefore if the string
> implementation includes the correct header for shared_ptr it succeeds
> and the header file variable will never be set.
>
> Very fragile. Fixing this just for the release seems too much work for
> me, at least if my workaround is sufficient. I would leave this as a
> no-fix.

I agree, the test is *really* fragile, and looking at the generated configure
shell script on OS X, AFAICS it will only work correctly if it is able to find a
Boost installation somewhere.

I also think that the fix is absolutely sufficient, especially as the test isn’t
needed in master anymore.

Steffen