[dune-pdelab] localfunctionspace.hh -> globalIndex

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Fri Aug 29 15:05:36 CEST 2014

Dear Christian,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 02:32:46PM +0200, Christian Kaltenecker wrote:
> Hello Dune,
>
> Thanks for your help regarding my last E-Mail. It was very helpful.
>
> Now my next and last problem is concerning the removed globalIndex.
> In Dune version 2.2 the globalIndex of the localfunctionspace was
> accessed this way:
> lfsf.globalIndex(i)
> but now in the version 2.3.1 the globalIndex-method is missing.
> I guess that it has something to do with the class DOFIndexContainer.
>
> Is there a way to get something like the global index?

usually it should not be necessary to do so... it would help us to
learn more about your particular use-case.

The general idea is that we introduce different types of mappings:

DOF -> multi index (this is what you get from the function space)
    the multi index is a hierarchic index, which store things like
    entity type, entity index, position in the function-space
    tree. This hierarchy does not necessarily comply to the the
    hierarchy induced by your GFS tree structure, but you can reorder
    it using the ordering tags.

The second component is a mapping

multi index -> container index
    this is computed by the ordering and is accessible via the
    lfsindexcache. This class maps from the generic multi index to a
    (multi) index type which is suitable for your particular container
    backend. If you are using a flat container, this is only a
    number. If you are using a blockmatrix this is really a
    multi-index.

I hope this helps already. For anything else, please explain a little
bit more about what you need. Usually you should not have to access
this information yourself.

Ciao