[dune-pdelab] Release branches for dune-typetree, dune-pdelab and dune-pdelab-howto created

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri May 30 14:33:49 CEST 2014

Dear PDELab users and developers,

as some of you may have noticed, the master branch of PDELab was in a somewhat broken
state during the last few days. There was a good reason for that, though: I have been busy
creating release branches for a new release based on DUNE 2.3. Those branches have now
been created, they are called releases/2.3 for dune-typetree and releases/2.0 for PDELab and the
Howto. We decided to synchronize the versioning of dune-typetree with the core modules rather
than with PDELab, as that module might be useful outside of PDELab as well.

You are welcome to try those release branches and we would appreciate it if you reported any
problems you have encountered. There is one important caveat, though:

THE RELEASE BRANCH IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH DUNE 2.3.0!!!!!!

The 2.3.0 release of the core modules contains a number of bugs that make running PDELab on
top of it difficult to impossible. Please check out the branch releases/2.3 instead and use it until
a point release 2.3.1 of the core modules is available.

After creating the branches, we have done quite a bit of cleanup work in the master branches,
removing deprecated features and code that is not needed anymore. The upshot of those changes
is that you now need:

- GCC 4.5+ or a recent clang or a very new ICC
- the master branch of the core modules

to work with the master branch of PDELab. The release should still work with older compilers, though.

There will most likely be a release candidate next week, hopefully followed very soon by PDELab
2.0.0!

Have a nice weekend everybody,

Steffen