[dune-pdelab] Very large .vtu files

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Mon Jul 27 18:31:39 CEST 2015

Am Mon, 27. Jul 2015, 18:06:57 +0200 schrieb conf86 at web.de:
> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 18:06:57 +0200
> From: conf86 at web.de
> To: dune-pdelab at dune-project.org
> Subject: [dune-pdelab] Very large .vtu files

> I'm currently trying to solve an instationary problem.
> If I take a coarse mesh the solution will be too imprecise, and if I take a finer mesh each .vtu file will be ~80 MB large. So when I have a lot of time steps (100 or more) this will take a lot of storage space on my limited home partition, especially as I need to solve the equation with different parameters.
> Is there something simple that could be done in this case? Like doing the calculations with a fine mesh but creating a graphical output with lesser "resolution"? Or any other tips?
>
> Thank you in advance!

Are you using ascii-mode to write the files (the default)?  Use appendedraw
instead, see
https://www.dune-project.org/doc/doxygen/html/dune-grid_2dune_2grid_2io_2file_2vtk_2common_8hh.html

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

Kiss a non-smoker; taste the difference.
-- fortune