[dune-pdelab] Workflow

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Thu Jun 25 14:10:14 CEST 2015

Am Thu, 25. Jun 2015, 08:58:25 +0000 schrieb Dominic Kempf:
> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:58:25 +0000
> From: Dominic Kempf <gitlab at conan2.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>
> To: jorrit at jorrit.de
> Subject: Re: dune-pdelab | [cleanup] remove leftover from mfd code (#28)
>
> New comment for Merge Request 28
>
> http://conan2.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/git/pdelab/dune-pdelab/merge_requests/28#note_1156
>

> Dominic Kempf
>
> Oh, well I branched this from an older master. In the meantime, somebody changed a file that I wanted to fully delete. That prohibited a fast forward merge for my first merge request.
>
> I solved the problem by cherry-picking my commit onto a fresh master. That resulted in an easy to resolve merge, as I was deleting the file that was having conflicts.

Hi!

I did merge that request now, but I want to take the opportunity to discuss
the workflow a little, now that I have 24h of experience with merge requests.

One question: did you mean automatic merge instead of fast-forward merge?  As
far as I remember, we try to avoid fast-forward merges, if the changes are
complex (i.e. enough to warrent a merge request).  In fast forward merges
there will be no merge commit, so no opportunity do document the merged branch
as a whole, and not opportunity to record a reference to the merge request.

I think in this case it would have been best to merge master into you branch
and to use the result in the merge request.  Yes, that would mean a bit of
back-and-forth merging and the history graph would be a bit more complex, but
at least it would tell us what actually happened.

@all: do you agree or did I misunderstand the workflow?

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know,"
pretend you don't know me.