[dune-pdelab] What are the post_skeleton methods for?

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Fri Oct 7 10:00:41 CEST 2016

Am Fri,  7. Oct 2016, 09:50:20 +0200 schrieb Oliver Sander:
> Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 09:50:20 +0200
> From: Oliver Sander <oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de>
> Subject: [dune-pdelab] What are the post_skeleton methods for?
>
> Dear pdelab team,
>
> while looking at the LocalOperator class interface I noticed that there
> is a class of methods ***volume_post_skeleton.  I suppose I understand
> what it does, but I cannot think of a situation where I would need it.
> What's an example application for these post_skeleton methods?

As far as I remember, these are needed for hackery such as: you collect some
information in the skeleton/boundary methods and store(!) it in your local
operator (or some other place).  In the post_skeleton methods you then use
that information to compute a contribution to whatever you're assembling, or
use the information for other stuff.  E.g. if you want to weight the
contributions of an element by the surface of the element.

That's the general gist, maybe someone else has a particular example where we
used it?  Anyway, I consider it a hack to work around the limitations of the
local operator interface.

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but
an act of murder.
-- Albert Einstein