[dune-pdelab] Staggered Grids?

Gregor Corbin corbin at mathematik.uni-kl.de
Tue Jan 23 10:29:59 CET 2018

Hello everyone,

I need to implement a method on staggered grids and would like to know
if it is possible in PDELab, and if so, how?

More specifically, I have a system of hyperbolic equations that will be
solved with a first-order finite volume method. It has the structure

    d_t u_1 + dx F(u_2) = 0,

    d_t u_2 + dx G(u_1,u_2) = 0.

The solution components u are split into two parts, u_1 and u_2.

u_1 is associated with some grid, let's say grid1, (a tensor product
grid, i.e. YASP grid, in my case) as usual. But u_2 should be defined on
the complement grid2, i.e. the grid that has the corners of grid1 as the
new cell centers, and the cell centers of grid1 as the new cell corners.

I don't think that the usual local operators can handle this situation,
so I'm currently inclined to iterate over the grid, evaluate the
solution from the GFS, and compute the updates manually, without the
help of grid operators.

I'd really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gregor