[dune-pdelab] artifact in DiscreteGridfunctionGradient in parallel run

Michael Wenske m_wens01 at wwu.de
Mon Aug 5 10:39:11 CEST 2019

Hi!

I now get where its coming from. The effect should also be present in
other finite elements too!

For my use-case, writing the gradient in a nonconforming way should be
just what I need. That way I can do some statistics on the gradients
throughout my field without any domain-boundary or processor-boundary
effects.

It still leaves me a bit worried for other cases though. Let's say somebody
wants to evaluate the gradient-convergence of a new method, then
this behavior could result in a false-negative result. I have not
checked the situation
when there are even more ranks. If I remember correctly, starting from 8
ranks
or so, the domain decomposition also divides in the y-direction, which
might hold
more interesting behavior at the crossing points.

The only consistent remedies I can think of would be to do an average
of the available gradients at each vertex, which would lead to smoothing in
high curvature regions. The second option would be to limit writing the
gradient
to nonconforming mode in some way, to not hide the inherent ambiguity.

Thanks you for your time,

Michael