[dune-pdelab] Fwd: Global Integral condition (Lagrange Multiplier) for diffusive problem

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 20 15:36:56 CET 2019

Am 20.03.19 um 13:36 schrieb Michael Wenske:
> Thank you Carsten for answering!
>
> (I take the liberty to forward your reply to the mailing list.)
>
> You are correct, it is a different problem which I solve.
>
> My take on it is, that penalty terms and lagrange multipliers are quite
> similar.
Unfortunately they are not:

> In the one case you have a functional f(x) and a condition g(x) = c
> which you combine
> to the new Lagrange functional to be minimized: L(x,lambda) = f(x) -
> lambda*(g(x)-c).
Yes, that's a classical formulation with a Lagrange multiplier.
Here you would look for saddle point of L which is a (x,lambda)
pair. In the penalty formulation you would look for a minimizer x of

  J(x) = f(x) + lambda*|g(x)-c|^2

for fixed scalar lambda. This essentially corresponds to your nonlinear
residual r(.,.).

> Penalty terms enforcing boundary conditions work in much the same way it
> seems.
>
> Anyhow, how would I approach implementing global volume constraints like
> this in pdelab?
I think it would be helpful to know which of those formulations you aim
at, since they are _very_ different.

Best,
Carsten

> thanks,