[dune-pdelab] Jacobian_volume vs jacobian_apply_volume

René Heß rene.hk-edv at gmx.de
Tue Jul 7 17:12:21 CEST 2020

Hi Amir,

the jacobian methods will assemble the Jacobian matrix J. This matrix
will be used by the linear solvers to solve your system.

Some solvers only need J to calculate the application of J to a vector
x. This means the solvers only needs to be able to compute Jx for a
given vector x. With the jacobian apply methods it is possible to
calculate this application of the Jacobian without ever assembling J.

This can be used to implement matrix-free solvers that could be faster
for certain cases. In your case you can ignore this issue and you won't
need the jacobian_apply methods (or if the compiler complains you can
just use the numerical methods, they won't be used anyway).

Best regards,
René