[Dune] Changes during constification - Renaming?

Robert Kloefkorn robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Dec 1 13:46:25 CET 2004

Thimo Neubauer wrote:
> Hi,
>   Additionally for the types depending on a codim the Trais can be
>   renamed to codim which yields
>
>     Grid::codim<0>::LevelIterator
>
>   which is pretty nice :)

Sounds good.

> Element::mydimension
>
>   There is a bit of confusion about weather template parameters are
>   the dimension of the created object or the grid dimension. We
>   renamed them a bit (especially in element) and created the enum
>   "mydimension" so that it's perfectly clear that Element::dimension
>   is the grid-dimension

whatever.

> IntersectionIterator::outer_normal
>
>   currently there are the methods unit_outer_normal (quite clear) and
>   outer_normal, which reports a normal vector scaled for easy
>   integration. We changed this to
>
>     outer_normal               any normal the grid can report, length
>                                not known (e.g. if only direction of
>                                flow needs to be checked)
>
>     unit_outer_normal          normal scaled to length 1 (for flow value)
>
>     integration_outer_normal   for integration, named after
>                                "integration_element"
can you comment a little bit more on that. Whats the new name of the
methods? unit_outer_normal and outer_normal we need both, because on
unstructured grids you really dont want to calculate an
unit_outer_normal and then again multiply with the volume of the face
therefore outer_normal returns the normal scaled with the volume face.

> Entity<0>::father_relative_local -> geometryInFather
>
>    clearly tell that an Element is returned and that it reports the
>    entities position inside the father
pretty good.

> Entity<0>::hasChildren
>
>    is only used for the LeafIterator, is it? A programmer could expect
>    a method to travel to children when there are any. Therefore we
>    propose to change
>
>      Entity<0>::hasChildren  ->  isLeaf
sounds good.

>    and invert the return value.
>
> Entity<dim>::father and local
>
>    The method names are a bit confusing: logically, one would
>    interpret the grid-cell whose corner you are in as the father of
>    the vertex. Instead, the method returns the father of the grid
>    cell. We decided to put this into the method names by changing
>
>       father   ->   ownersFather
>       local    ->   positionInOwnersFather
>
>    Granted, those names aren't perfect but at least it's quite clear
>    what they return.
really makes sense.

> Last but not least we would like to rename the type "Element" to
> "Geometry": this is what this type represents, it would be the logical
> return value for methods like geometry() and talking about grid cells
> aka grid elements gets to be less confusing :)
really good.

Say if you check in.

Greetz

   Robert Klöfkorn           <robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

   Mathematisches Institut              Tel: +49 (0) 761 203 5642
   Abt. für Angewandte Mathematik       Fax: +49 (0) 761 203 5632
   Universität Freiburg
   Hermann-Herder-Str. 10
   79104 Freiburg

   http://www.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/IAM/homepages/robertk