[Dune] Re: from Sreejith (AG Bastian)

Oliver Sander sander at math.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 11 12:29:53 CET 2005

Hi Sreejith!
It is correct that I work with Dirichlet boundary conditions on a
regular basis.  There's not much support for it in Dune; I ended
up writing a few tools for myself.

I treat Dirichlet nodes by carrying around a BitField with an entry
for each degree of freedom.  Bits are set for Dirichlet dofs and
unset otherwise.  There is such a Bitfield for each grid level.

There was some talk about incorporating those bitfields into
the function spaces, but nothing happened so far.

For initializing the Dirichlet field I use two methods:
- read it from a file for the coarse grid and then propagate it
   to the higher levels.  I have written code for that.
- Describe the Dirichlet field by some analytical function
   and sample it.  It can be helpful here to determine the
   dofs on the grid boundary (for which I have code, too)
   but it's not strictly necessary.

This is pretty much all there is to it.  Once you know for each
dof on each level whether it's Dirichlet or not you can treat
them in your assemblers and solvers any way you please.

It seems like I'll be in HD next week.  If there's interest I'll
explain a bit more about Dirichlet handling and the more general
problem of treating data on the boundary.

Good luck,

* Oliver Sander                **                                      *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** email: sander at math.fu-berlin.de      *
* Institut für Mathematik II   ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Arnimallee 2-6               ** fax  : + 49 (30) 838 54977           *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** URL  : www.math.fu-berlin.de/~sander *