[Dune] Feature request FieldVector

Adrian Burri burriad at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 1 15:34:55 CET 2005

Hi all,

I have a (probably quite controversial) feature request for the
FieldVector: I'd like to have a method that gives me direct access to
the underlying C-array, i.e. something like this
(&K)[n] array() { return p; }
I know this breaks encapsulation, it is a highly dangerous quirk and
against all principles of good software engineering, but I am
interfacing to a C-library for numerical flux functions and I don't
intend to copy my range vectors (2*nQuadpoints*nElements*dimRange copies
in one grid sweep...)
Those array() functions (the const and the non-const version) should of
course be tagged with a large warning sign!

I am interested to hear your opinion on this issue.

Cheers

Adi