[Dune] dune link auf dune.

Thimo Neubauer thimo.neubauer at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Oct 25 11:57:52 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 11:06:44AM +0200, Robert Kloefkorn wrote:
> ich wollte mal fragen, wieso eigentlich, nachdem man im Dune Verzeichnis
> configure und make ausgeführt hat, ein Link auf ./ mit dem Namen dune
> erzeugt wird. Wofür wird dieser benötigt?

The dune -> . symlink is needed to get consistent #include-statements.
As you know the standard form to reference the Dune-headers is

  #include <dune/aheader.h>

This is perfect for our holy grail: the installed 1.0-version! :-)
However, it's not particularily suited for the current development.

The problem first appeared with the test-applications inside Dune:
they should reference the headers like a normal application (otherwise
the test would not be realistic) but you can't rely on the main
directory to be called "dune". Well, with CVS-checkouts you (sort of)
may, but no more with release tarballs: they unpack into dune-1.0/ and
you still want to be able to use the self-tests :-)

Obviously the same applies for applications which want to use a "not
properly installed" Dune. There, you can pass the symlink to the
--with-dune statement to circumvent the same problem.

On systems without symlink support (a rather popular one comes to
mind...) the configure-script will force you to call the top directory
"dune". Of course, that section is untested ;-)

Cheers
   Thimo