[Dune] return value of mark.

Olaf Ippisch olaf.ippisch at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Dec 15 11:57:21 CET 2006

Hi Oliver, hi Robert,

I am a bit ambivalent about this return value. On the one hand I would say,
that it does no harm to have it and as also the function MarkForRefinement in
UG returns an Integer which says if it everything was ok, there is no price
to pay.

On the other hand, I think that this return value is not very significant. It
can only tell if the technical operation of setting the mark was successful,
but does not tell anything about if an element is actually refined or
coarsend or not. Especially in the case of coarsening this will only be done
if all children of one father have been marked for coarsening.

The argument of a slim interface, however, is not very convincing to me as the
question discussed is only a return value and not the introduction of a new
function. I also don't thinkt that it is a redundancy with getMark(), as
getMark() returns the mark state of an object (refine, coarsen or nothing)
and the return value of mark would be a mere indicator if the operation was
technically successfull, which could only be used for error handling.

Regards,
Olaf

--
Dr. Olaf Ippisch
Universität Stuttgart

What is mind? No matter. And what is matter? Never mind.