[Dune] Dune::Grid::type() and modularization

Christian Engwer christi at uni-hd.de
Fri Jul 21 12:35:39 CEST 2006

Hi,

one of the major goals of the modularization was to allow developers
to create new dune-modules beside the official dune repositories. I
now got feedback that this is not possible for new grids. The problem
is, when write a new grid outside of dune-grid you can't extend the
GridIdentifier enum.

To me it seems the only place where the GridIdentifier is used for is
the association of ID and name. Therefor I suggest to remove the
type() method and create a name method at the grid. This Method can
then be used to write an ostream operator for Dune::Grid<..>.

Comments? Suggestion?

Cheers Christian