[Dune] Problem with lam/mpi

Markus Blatt Markus.Blatt at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Oct 13 16:26:04 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 03:11:42PM +0200, Stefan Vater wrote:

> I installed DUNE on my linux system and had the following problem in
> conjunction with lam/mpi:
>
> when I do a configure in dune-istl, the system seems to recognize well
> lam/mpi> ...
>
> But when I do a "make", I get the following error message:
> g++  -g -O2 -L/home/vater/rechnen/dune/dune-common/common -lcommon  -o
> indexset
> indexset-indexset.o -llammpio -llamf77mpi -lmpi -llam -lutil -ldl
> mkdir .libs
> g++ -g -O2 -o indexset
> indexset-indexset.o  -L/home/vater/rechnen/dune/dune-common/common /home/vater/rechnen/dune/dune-common/common/.libs/libcommon.a /usr/lib/libstdc++.so -lm -lc -lgcc_s -llammpio /usr/lib/liblamf77mpi.a /usr/lib/libmpi.a /usr/lib/liblam.a -lutil -ldl
> /usr/lib/libmpi.a(malloc.o): In function `ptmalloc_unlock_all':

I saw from your attached config.log that you used icc and
lam/mpi. This issue is known for the combination of lam/mpi 7.1.1
together with icc:

http://www.lam-mpi.org/MailArchives/lam/2006/02/11967.php

> in my options file for dunecontrol, everthing works fine. Should not the
> system recognize by itself that it needs pthreads???

Yes lam/mpi should recognize this. As we just take the LDFlags from
the lam/mpi wrapper, dune is not able to correct errors from
lam. Sorry.

There are only to ways to deal with this: Either include pthreads in
your LDFLAGS (as you already have done) or try 7.1.2  as sugested in
the lam/mpi forum.

> You also have a strange comment on the news-webpage
> (http://www.dune-project.org/news/):
> Under "YaspGrid - reference implementation of the parallel grid
> interface", one can read: "If you want to use the parallel interface
> you must have an MPI implementation available (automake can detect
> mpich and lam). To learn how to compile your DUNE project with MPI
> support have a look at  dune-tutorial/Makefile.am."

That news dates back to 2004 and is rather out of date concerning
building Dune. We should probably erase the last paragraph.
Thanks for the hint.

Best regards,

Markus Blatt