[Dune] DUNE debianisation

Markus Blatt mblatt at plagula.de
Tue Sep 26 17:13:23 CEST 2006

Hi Klaus,

Sorry about the high latency in replying to your post.

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 01:31:58PM +0200, Klaus Schneider wrote:

> I have successfully debianised the dune-common module, i.e. a Debian packages
> of dune-common can be built from source by
>  debian/rules build
>  fakeroot debian/rules binary
> The configuration part does not detect lam if it is run with fakeroot, therefore
> two commands are required.

Thanks a lot for your effort. I am using Debian a lot and like the
packaging system very much.

Currently we unfortunately do not have
enough time to evaluate your changes.

In general, I would like to discuss a few things about your approach:

- I doubt that these Debian specific files should be in the svn tree
  of DUNE. For most (or even all?) packages the debianization is done
  outside the original source tree. Probably there are reasons for
  this. One might be, that other distributors might want to do the
  same and thus this might get messy for us.

- Keeping the debianisation outside the source tree of DUNE has other
  advantages, too:
  All of our modules have a rather unified way of being built, thanks
  to our module building system. This should make it possible to have
  one generic way to convert all modules into Debian
  packages. (E.~g. there is way to determine the dune module
  dependencies using dunecontrol. Meaning that the maintaince has to
  be done only once.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Markus