[Dune] Standard library enhancements

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Wed Aug 15 13:45:13 CEST 2007

Markus Blatt wrote:

>Hi,
>

>Just a rather late note on this topic.
>
>On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 01:58:16PM +0100, Oliver Sander wrote:
>

>>The library additions contain several tools that we have implemented
>>ourselves in dune-common.  Examples include a Tuple class, a fixed-
>>size array class and a whole bag of type traits for template meta-
>>programming.  Since they are maintained by the GNU folks (with good
>>connections to the compiler builders), in the long run we can expect
>>them to be superior to our own code.  However, for obvious portability
>>reasons we cannot expect them to be present on every machine.
>>
>>Here's my proposal.  We change the naming of those of our classes that
>>are reimplementations of tr1 classes to conform with those classes.
>>Then, a simple AutoTools switch allows to use the built-in classes
>>when available and use our own if not.  I expect our own reimplementations
>>to be necessary for a long time (read: years), but still if present
>>you can get the benefit of built-in classes.
>>

>This means that we have to implement all feature of the classes we use
>from tr1!
>
>In case of array there are quite some of them missing, e.g. C-array
>style assignment in initialisation, tuple access functions ...

I know.  However, AFAIK, nobody uses these features within
core dune because FixedArray doesn't have them.  I propose
to not do anything unless serious need arises.

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Institut für Mathematik II   ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *