[Dune] Standard library enhancements

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Wed Aug 15 14:56:14 CEST 2007

Markus Blatt wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 01:45:13PM +0200, Oliver Sander wrote:
>

>>Markus Blatt wrote:
>>

>>>On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 01:58:16PM +0100, Oliver Sander wrote:
>>>

>>>This means that we have to implement all feature of the classes we use
>>>

>>>from tr1!
>>

>>>In case of array there are quite some of them missing, e.g. C-array
>>>style assignment in initialisation, tuple access functions ...
>>>

>>I know.  However, AFAIK, nobody uses these features within
>>core dune because FixedArray doesn't have them.  I propose
>>to not do anything unless serious need arises.
>>

>Yes some of them are used. I switched some part of dune-disc from
>FixedArray to array. Unfortunately tr1::array does not have an
>function operator=(const T&) but just assign(const T& t). There just
>substituting FixedArray with array did not work.

Yes, I forgot I about that one (sorry), because I considered
it minor.  I had already fixed that locally, but didn't check
it in because now you can't use dune-disc with 1.0 anymore.
Was your last dune-disc commit deliberate?

By the way, can we have email commit notification for
dune-disc back?  Thank you!

>By the way, I thought that the goal of your changes is to switch to
>array later on. Therefore everybody should use use array. As I (and
>probably many others) use a compiler with the tr1 extensions this will
>lead to unnoticed bugs when accidentally using features not supported
>by Dune.

Well, obviously, the best thing to do is to reimplement all the nice
std::array features in Dune::array.  However that looks like a lot of
work to me and I am still trying to make myself believe that it is
not necessary... doesn't really work, though.

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Institut für Mathematik II   ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *