[Dune] dim < dimworld ?

Bernd Flemisch bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Aug 28 19:15:44 CEST 2007

>> Dear Dune developers,
>>
>> we plan to have dim < dimworld. As far as I can see, this is not yet
>> supported (in SGrid partially, but, e.g., the dimworld normals are
>> wrong). Do you plan to support it, and, if yes, when?
>>
>> Thanks. Best wishes
>> Bernd
>>

> Hi Bernd!
> Yes, we certainly intend to support this.  However, there has not been
> much demand for it so far.  It would be nice to have, e.g., a grid
> manager for 2d-in-3d simplicial surfaces, but afaik there's none in
> sight.  What exactly do you need?
>
> --
> Oliver

Hi Oliver,

thanks for the quick response. The grid manager for 2d-in-3d simplicial
surfaces is exactly what I would need in the long run.
Talking applications, we have two in mind where it would be nice to have
dim < dimworld: the first one is pipe flow embedded in a porous medium
yielding a 1d grid in a 2d/3d world. The second one is flow in fractures
embedded in a porous medium yielding a 1d grid in a 2d world or a 2d
grid in a 3d world.
For 1d in 2d/3d, a first step would be to have an SGrid for a straight
line. Up to now, some features are already working if this line is of
the form (x(t), y(t)) = (a + t, a + t). If you could specify arbitrary
start and end points, that would already be enough to keep us busy for
quite a while.
After that, it would be nice to be able to deal with curved lines. And
finally, the grid manager for 2d-in-3d simplicial surfaces...

Best wishes
Bernd

Bernd Flemisch                               phone: +49 711 685 69162
IWS, Universität Stuttgart                   fax:   +49 711 685 60430
Pfaffenwaldring 61                  email: bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
D-70569 Stuttgart                       url: www.iws.uni-stuttgart.de